WHAT IS THE NO MINOR THING CHALLENGE?
The No Minor Thing Challenge is an invite-only design competition calling on selected designers and students to submit innovative solutions to combat the sexual exploitation of children.
> Learn more about the WDCD No Minor Thing Challenge
WHO IS BEHIND THE CHALLENGE?
The No Minor Thing Challenge is an initiative by Amsterdam-based design platform What Design Can Do, along with The Dutch Public Prosecution Service, The Ministry of Justice and Security and research partner STBY.
> Learn more about Our Partners
HOW ARE PARTICIPANTS SELECTED?
This challenge is only open to selected invitees. The invitees get the opportunity to work on a proposal and receive feedback from topic experts. In a later stage WDCD and the DPPS will help to connect every project that fits the challenge criteria, to prospect partners in order to establish an accelerator phase for further development and implementation of proposed projects.
WHAT IS THE TIMELINE & THE KEY MILESTONES OF THE CHALLENGE?
The No Minor Thing Challenge runs from May 2018 till November 2018.
LAUNCH – 24 MAY
- The challenge kicks off at WDCD Live Amsterdam (24 & 25 May) with a workshop at the Balie debate centre during which various experts will provide input.
CONCEPT DEADLINE – 10 SEPTEMBER
- Design teams have to hand in their concepts.
IMPROVEMENT – 20 SEPTEMBER
- 20 September – 18 October: The participants are given the opportunity to improve their concepts to final proposals based on the feedback of the expert review team.
PRESENTATION – 20 NOVEMBER
- In the beginning of November the proposals will be presented on the WDCD platform.
- The participants will showcase their final proposals live, during the Innovation Congress of the Ministry of Justice & Security on 20 November 2018
EXECUTION – 2019
- The Public Prosecution Service commits to the intention of connecting each project team to relevant partners and to put at least one project actually into practice.
- Executed projects will be showcased during WDCD 2019.
WHAT RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE TO PARTICIPANTS?
Together with our research partner STBY, we have compiled a Starter Kit to help all challenge participants getting started. More research documents, relevant articles and inspiring links can be found in our Downloads section or on the No Minor Challenge Blog.
> Learn more about your resources
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE IDEAS OF THE PARTICIPATING DESIGN TEAMS?
- Entrants retain full ownership of their idea.
- Should a design team choose to share their proposal on the online platform, they give WDCD and its partners the right to publish their idea on all possible media channels throughout the challenge.
- Should a potential implementation partner or investor express an interest in developing or supporting the idea of one of the design teams, they are free to decide how to share their intellectual property. If so desired, we can assist and advise them.